Friday, November 9, 2012

Internship Journal Week Four

Week 4
Date: Tuesday 16th & Wednesday 17th October                                 Total Hours: 16

Tuesday, I went to Speakeasy to work on the online shop project. I was on my own to work all day, and besides a few interactions with some of the staff, I had my nose in my computer all day. This project was turning out to be difficult. Last week I took out a small chunk of the spreadsheet, and it was my job to finish it in this one day so I could send it to the CEO. Finding this information online, from a credible source that is, was almost painful. By the end of the day, I had not completed the spreadsheet; however, I had found all the information that I could find online. I sent a copy to the CEO and Ashley as a first draft.

On Wednesday morning, I was woken up at 6:30 to a phone call from Ashley. I was notified that, I will be working at Liberty this week instead of Department. I was not too upset with this because I get more time on the coffee machine when I am at Liberty. They started me on the till that morning and I also waited on some tables. This was nice because I had the chance to chat with some of the customers. I felt bad for one of the customers because I had to take his order 3 times till he ordered something that we still had left. During the busy morning rushes, we often run out of certain baked items, and it seemed that everything this gentleman wanted we were out of it. It is not my fault, I know, but as a server, I cannot help but feel a little responsible. This sort of thing comes with being in the food/beverage industry though. In the afternoon, Liberty slows down quite a bit so I had my chance to start making coffee again!

I made a few coffees before my assistant manager wanted to show me something new. He taught me about the coffee grinders, and how to calibrate them to get the desired amount/density of coffee. After running over this with me, he went to the grinder, and completely messed up the calibration on it. I was tasked with finding the correct calibration again. This is a long process because each step one has to do during calibration takes a decent amount of time. It took me a couple of wrong guess to get it back to where it needed to be, but I was happy to learn something new.

Someone had brought in a small boxed of spiced minced pies for all the staff. I had never tried this before, but I am adventurous with my food and up for it. I was informed that these spiced pies are really popular as Christmas holiday treat. This lead to discussing Christmas in the states, and my manager from Holland explained that Holland does not celebrate Christmas. They have something very similar with a character that is like Santa and little helpers similar to elves. It was not really different from Christmas just a few little differences. Back to the spiced minced pies, they were good, but when it says spiced, it is not kidding. It has a strong flavor. I would not eat them all the time, but I would be okay with a couple times around the holidays.   

No comments:

Post a Comment