Friday, November 9, 2012

Internship Journal Week Five


Week 5
Date: Tuesday 30th & Wednesday 31st October                                    Total Hours: 17

My project day started out with a meeting with Tim, the CEO, at Speakeasy. We went through the spreadsheet I had sent him to critic some items, as well as figure out what is the next step. He said I had knocked out a large chunk of the work, but he still wanted me to fill in the blanks that I could not find online. He suggested that I use a scale and tape measure from Speakeasy, and manually weigh and measure the products and their boxes. This did not seem like it would be too hard so it did not bother me. Tim also introduced the next project he wants me working on. He roughly wrote up a customer survey about how customers view Coffeesmiths’ home barista products. I was now in charge of proofreading/amending the survey, and creating the survey on Survey Monkey for online distribution. I decided that I would work on the survey on my own time later in the week. Being that I was in Speakeasy, I took the rest of the day for weighing and measuring products for the spreadsheet.

I was back in Speakeasy for Wednesday. I was supposed to come in at 6:30 and work to 16:00, but John, the manager, thought it would be best for me to come in at 10:00 and work to 18:00. I was not complaining because I did not really want to be into work by 6:30 anyways. I worked on dishes for a couple hours until the rush was over. John then put me on the counter. I was in charge of preparing any sandwiches or pastries that people order, as well as running coffees. This helped me with figuring out what sandwiches are what, and what they all have on them. I still do not know them really well, but I am getting much better at distinguishing between them. It was also nice to work the counter because I could see the whole shop, and watch how the shop and customers work from a large view. With an hour to 18:00, I went back on dish duty to finish up.

There was a big rush that started right before 18:00 and being that it was later in the day, only three of us were still working. I left the dish station a little after 18:00, and went up to help the two other staff. The rush lasted till 18:45, and I was exhausted! John sent me home with a piece of carrot cake as a thank you for staying an extra 45 minutes. Working late did not bother me, but I was more than happy to take a piece of delicious carrot cake!  I also walked away with some new knowledge.

Because it was Halloween, a few of us started talking about it, and I was informed that Halloween started as a British holiday, but died out. The states resurrected Halloween, and it made its way back to Great Britain. It still is not as popular here as it is in the states, but I still saw plenty of kids all dressed up. I also noticed that there were many more families that came in to Speakeasy on Halloween and many of the kids had brand new toys. I had not seen this in the past weeks, and I am wondering if it has to do with it being Halloween.  

No comments:

Post a Comment